Knots and Tangles

Having a job, I've found, really puts a knot in one's knitting time!

Name:
Location: Broadalbin, NY, United States

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Knitting updates

Some things I've been working on since Christmas or so - -

Following the purple bag that I knit for my sister in law (and subsequently kept for myself... I'm selfish like that), I decided to begin a similar bag in a light tan color yarn that my mother gave me. It has no label, but I suspect it's a wool blend. It's an interesting color because it looks tan from a distance, but up close the yarn is composed of many pastel colors. Here's what it looks like in it's current state (it's been a dormant WIP for quite a while):


Another long dormant project of mine are the Lion's Brand Magic Stripes socks (this time in a blue/purple colorway) as shown below.


As you can see, sock 1 is almost complete. I've had a hard time finishing what I've started since becoming employed!

Here's a project I actually finished:

It looks sort of funky in this picture, but it's a basic hat knit for myself with some Lion's Brand Wool-Ease. Not surprisingly, I started knitting matching gloves, finished one of them, and moved on without finishing the second. Knitting ADHD in action (or, more appropriately, inaction)!

Next up, with my new found yarnbuying freedom (relatively speaking) I allowed myself the pleasure of ordering some Noro Kureyon from supercrafty! for another Booga Bag (color #180). Here's a peak:


It's relatively done, except the straps but I've actually been working on it so it may be done before next year. Exciting!

My current actively active project is the Candle Flame Shawl from the KnitPicks website, using KnitPicks Shimmer yarn (as shown in the sample pictures on the website, Turquoise Splendor). I chose this color not because it was the color shown, but because it reminds me of the water, specifically the ocean.

It was a bit of a challenge, as I began the shawl once last summer and got about midway through the first repeat (around row 15 I think of 36 rows) when it got put aside due to frustration. I was having a difficult time visually following the chart (which, back then, charted across all 97 stitches, which made it very easy to get lost). Then, I picked it back up a few weeks ago and realized that I had made a very fatal error way back when... instead of knitting the purls and purling the knits on the wrong side, I was knitting and purling following the chart (which makes more SENSE, but whatever). So the pattern on the little bit that I had completed was all wrong. I knew that I would not be able to live with not having followed the pattern and that it would bother me for eternity, and so instead of just plowing on and completing all 70 inches of this mammoth beast, I ripped it out entirely. KnitPicks adjusted the pattern and consequently adjusted the chart so that it could easily be knit as a skinnier scarf and is therefore much easier to follow. I'm well into the second repeat and going well! I was unsure that I'd have the stamina to complete it, as the first go through on the repeat took me FOREVER. However it seems to be rolling along quite quickly now that I've gotten a handle on the pattern. I'm very pleased with it thus far.


I'd like to have it done by mid-May to wear to a wedding. However, if that goal is found to be unattainable, my next goal is to have it done by August to bring on our CRUISE!! We're heading off in August to the Bahamas and Bermuda on a 7 night cruise on the Norwegian Dawn. It's the first cruise for my husband and I. For years my parents wanted to have a big family cruise because they've enjoyed several cruises over the years. It'll be my first time in a place with crystal clear turquoise waters and all of that... and I cannot wait!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home